Address: 2362 Overland Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90064-2210.
Phone: (310) 441-9832
Personal: Born: Dec 7 1969, Moscow, USSR;
Permanent Resident of the United States.
Field of Interest: Differential Geometry
(AMS classification: 51, 53, 58).
Ph.D. thesis advisor:
Professor Peter Petersen, UCLA.
- Presently a doctoral graduate student in Mathematics,
University of California, Los Angeles (degree expected June 1996).
- MA in Mathematics, UCLA (1993).
- Diploma of Engineer-Mathematician, Department of Applied
Mathematics and Computer Science, Moscow Aviation Institute,
- [Sep 1986 - May 1991] - Teaching Assistant at Moscow
- [Mar - Aug 1992] - Computer Programmer at NIITAvtoprom, Moscow,
- [Sep 1992 - Aug 1993; Jan 1995 - present] - Research Assistant
- [Sep 1993 - Dec 1994] - Teaching Assistant at UCLA.
- Operating Systems: DOS/Windows 3.1; UNIX: BSD (SunOS), SysV
- Programming languages: C/C++; Pascal; Fortran; Lisp;
Perl; Modula 2; Basic.
- Word/text processing: LaTeX2e/LaTeX/TeX; HTML; Scientific
WorkPlace; MS Word.
- Computer Algebra Systems: Maple V r2; Mathematica 2.2.;
- Five time winner of the Moscow Aviation Institute
Student Mathematical Competition (1987-91).
- 1989 runner-up of the Moscow Student Mathematical Competition.
- GPA 4.0 (major) / 3.99 (cumulative).
- Alfred P. Sloan Dissertation Year Fellowship 1995/96.
Invited Address: Moscow International Student Conference, MAI, 1990.
- Micro Program in Riemannian Geometry; Fields Institute for
Research in Mathematical Sciences; August 1993.
- Workshop on Comparison Geometry; Mathematical Sciences
Research Institute; October 1993.
- 4th Southern California Geometric Analysis Seminar; UC Irvine;
- GeomFest 1995; SUNY Stony Brook; April 1995.
- Summer School on Geometry and Physics; Odense University; Denmark;
- Semion Shteingold, ``Smoothness of Generalized Solutions of
Boundary Value Problem for Functional-Differential Equations'',
Uspehi Mat. Nauk - (in Russian), 46 (1991), no. 3(279), 203-204.
- Semion Shteingold, ``One Solution of the
Pentagon Problem'', J. of Math. Behavior, 13 (1994), 299-302.
- Semion Shteingold, ``Volume
comparison for Alexandrov spaces''
Indiana U. Math. J., 43 (1994), no. 4, 1349-1357.
- Semion Shteingold, ``Covering
Radii and Paving Diameters of Alexandrov Spaces'',
J. of Geometric Analysis, 8 (1999), no. 4, 613-627.
- Peter Petersen, Semion Shteingold, Guofang Wei, ``Comparison
Geometry with Integral Curvature Bounds'',
GAFA 7 (1997) 1011-1030.
- Professor Peter Petersen, UCLA, Department of Mathematics.
- Professor Robert Greene, UCLA, Department of Mathematics.
- Professor Alice Chang, UCLA, Department of Mathematics.
- Professor Mark Green, UCLA, Department of Mathematics.